Thursday, July 9, 2009

Labor + Delivery








On Wednesday night we went to bed with the anticipation of waking up the next morning to be at the hospital at 8 am to be induced into labor. However, our baby decided to spice things up a bit and my water broke early Thursday morning at about 1:50 am! Luckily our bags were packed and ready to go since we were planning to be at the hospital later on that day. I immediately called labor and delivery and told them my water broke and they told me to come to the hospital right away. By the time we arrived at the hospital I still hadn't had any contractions. They put us in our labor room and put the fetal heart rate monitor on me and told us to try to get some sleep. That's when my contractions began, while Devin was sound alseep. Since they were still bearable I let Devin sleep and I eventually somehow fell asleep myself for an hour or two. As the contractions got worse, the baby's heart rate continued to take a dive during each contraction. They had me on oxygen and I was getting more and more dilated and had reached 7 cm. They told me once I hit 5 cm I would likely dilate 1 cm each hour. Unfortunately, I stopped dilating once I hit 7 cm. The contractions were getting very painful at this time and I started to hyperventilate/have an anxiety attack. My hands, face, and legs were tingling and my hand muscles were contracting, (on top of the increasingly painful contractions) so I decided it was time for the epidural. Once that came I could relax a little bit. Then they had to put a device on the baby's scalp to monitor the heart rate closer because it was continuing to dive with the contractions. The other problem was that the baby would not come down low, he was up at -1 so my doctor told me they may have to do a C-section. I was in shock when she told me that. I was in no way mentally prepared to hear that, I was so scared! Devin was so great and such a support through the entire labor. My doctor talked with a few other doctors and they all agreed that with my situation a C-Section was safest for the baby. They took me in for surgery very soon after telling me this news, and the baby arrived shortly after! Finally seeing little Colton was one of the happiest moments of my life. Devin held my hand through the surgery and he videod the baby being pulled out. Colton is such an angel, he's the perfect baby. I don't want him to grow or change at all, I wish he could stay like this forever! He is so precious and we love him so much. We are constantly entertained by the faces he makes. He is our pride and joy and we are soooooo HAPPY! I am still very tender and sore, but Colton keeps me smiling. We are so grateful to our Heavenly Father who sent us this beautiful baby boy and we feel so blessed!

15 comments:

j,d and little b said...

I love you Shira, and Devin and COLTON! You are amazing Shira, I am sure your happy spirit kept you through all of that craziness!

And he is seriously one CUTE KID! I can't believe how cute he is! All that hair! aahhh I am dying to see him. And cherish those little moments...when they are little. I miss them soo much already...
I am glad he is being a good baby for you! I love you Dickson family!

Jamie said...

He is so adorable Shira. I am so happy for you and Devin. Being a mom is the best thing ever and it only continues to get more wonderful. Congrats!

Stephanie Vogel said...

He is so cute!! I started hyperventilating too my hands were cramping up, that was crazy, I thought I was going to lose control. I am so glad everything went well and you have your little angel. I hope you heal quickly!

Anna K. said...

I am so happy for you guys. He is so precious! I want to see him! Babies are awesome!

j,d and little b said...

P.S. He looks JUST like Devin

Wendy and Neal said...

You have your little baby!!! Is it so gnarly going from having him in your tummy every day, to just BAM having him in your arms finally? He's just adorable, and I'm so happy for your little growing family!

Meg said...

He is soooo cute! I want to meet him so badly I can't stand it. I really don't know what to do with myself. I am so glad you posted some new pictures, he has already changed so much. He is adorable. I hope that I can meet him sooner rather than later. Keep the pictures coming! We love you guys!

Erin said...

isn't amazing and you wonder how you were entertained before the little bundle of joy showed up! he is precious, i love the pic of you three together! I wish all the babies could stay that tina and cuddly!

J + A said...

Shira he is beautiful!! Congratulations on you new little bundle of joy!!

cherise and Tristan said...

Congrats. He is beautiful. I just found out that I will likely be having a c section. I cried when we left the office. It is not a big deal, it is just not what you have planned for. I may be calling you cause I have no idea what to expect with that. Cherise

Unknown said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys! You are such a champ Shira, I would be so scared to do a c-section. By the way, Colton is SO CUTE! I always knew you would have gorgeous kids but geez, he is gonna be a knock out!! :)
Anyway, I hope your recovery goes well Shira and I think you guys are just awesome.

lindsey said...

I am dieing over how perfect he is! He is soooo cute. You three should model in a parents magazine or something!

I am so glad everything ended up well and that he is here safe and healthy and happy!

Seth and I will be all moved into Portland early August so Im thinking you guys need to come visit and have a get away weekend with us! We could visit Cannon Beach and fly kites on the shore:)

Congrats again! So exciting.

Chris & Jackie Kontoes said...

Yea, you joined the club. We hope to see you guys soon. We miss ya lots out here. Congrats on the little nugget. We love ours and although they are great tiny, it seems to get even more fun and funny as they get a bit fatter and less delicate. Can't wait to let them play together.

Tammey said...

Congratulations Devin & Shira


he is a doll


Tammey Fitzgerald

Meg said...

More pictures plleeaassee! I am dying to see how this handsome little guy is growing! We miss you guys!