Saturday, February 5, 2011

Melanoma In Situ (Stage 0)

I listened to a message from my dermatologist yesterday telling me to call her on her cell phone. I was anxious to hear what the results were from a mole I had removed on Monday. I figured it wasn't good news if she was giving me her cell #. She informed me they found Melanoma In Situ which is the earliest stage of Melanoma cancer. At this point it hasn't spread deeper into the body. I guess all those years of tanning finally caught up to me. She eased my mind by saying that I should be fine since we caught it early and I just have to go back in so they can cut more out of my leg to be safe. The most stressful part is that I'm pregnant right now. However, I read all about Melanoma In Situ and I should be just fine. I just need to go in for regular check-ups every few months.
My main reason for blogging this is to encourage others to go get their moles checked. After watching a related episode of Grey's Anatomy, I went online to look at pictures of cancerous moles to compare with a particular mole I had on my leg. It wasn't symmetrical and it had changed colors over time.
KNOW THE ABCDE'S OF MELANOMA:
Asymmetry
uneven Borders
different Colors
large Diameter
Evolution (any change)

7 comments:

Erin said...

my sister in law has really bad skin cancer, and it always kicks in worse when she is prego!! Because of that, James and I get checked every year!

Whit said...

Whaaaatttt?!?!!! Thank goodness for watching shows on TV, right? When do you go back in? You gotta call me sista!

Amy Rex said...

So glad that everything is okay! Tyler told me how Devin was giving you a hard time about relating a tv show to your own life and then said how bad he felt when it turned out that you were right.
See! TV can teach us things!
I'm going to have to tease him a little next time I see him! ;)

Stephanie said...

Shira!! So sorry to hear this. But glad you caught it early. Grey's is a lifesaver!

Hadley Family Clan! said...

Omg. Thankful that you got it removed and that they caught it before it spread. Esp with you being pregnant that's scary. We will keep you in our prayers.

Tyler Rex said...

Grey's For LIFE!

Emilia said...

Hey Shira! I have my yearly skin cancer check scheduled for next week and someone was telling me about your skin cancer scare, and told me you had a blog and wrote about it. I have always been paranoid about skin cancer, especially since I used tanning beds my junior year of high school. I've had like 6 moles removed so far and all of them have come back fine, but right now I have a mole on my back that seems kind of shady. That episode of Grey's scared me so much! I've been getting skin cancer checks for the past 4 years, but I still worry that my moles will change out of nowhere and I will get it. I am glad you are okay and that you caught it super early. Thank goodness for Grey's!
PS You're the skinniest pregnant woman I've ever seen! How are your arms so buff when you're 9 months pregnant! I've never had a baby and my arms are super flabby. How do you do it!?