Wednesday, April 16, 2008

SAVE ME!!!


Okay, so one of the few downsides to Hawaii are the massive "cane spiders". Last night a second huge spider in the last couple weeks decided to pay us a visit. They are GIGANTIC spiders. I was going to put the image of a real cane spider on my blog for you all to see, but I kept freaking out looking at it! They are bigger than tuna fish cans and so scary! I went into our bedroom to find the spider crawling on the wall above our bed. I screamed for Devin (thank goodness I wasn't home alone) and then the spider started running super fast. Luckily Devin squashed it with his shoe. It was so frightening!!! If you haven't seen a cane spider, search for an image online. I am not exaggerating about their enormous size! I am so blessed Devin was there to save me!

9 comments:

Anna K. said...

AHHHHhh! haha I was reading when I heard you yell something about a cane spider last night. I was nervous for you, especially since you despise them so much. Good thing it's gone!

Scott and Christie said...

OMGOSH! I couldn't even imagine!!! I'm glad your okay. I hate spiders and I just when they are just like the size of a quarter!

Unknown said...

Way to be a man son. Dad

Unknown said...

While certainly scary looking, this spider is actually quite a helpful arachnid. The Cane Spider does not spin a web, but instead hunts for food at night. Just about any insect is fair game for this spider, including cockroaches and silverfish.

Cane Spiders are very reluctant to bite and prefer to run instead of defend. However, if sufficiently provoked the spider can bite and though rare, can inject venom. The spider's bite is small and usually does not result in any long term problems.

Cane Spiders will often find their way into houses. While nobody wants to be startled by the sudden appearance of one of these hairy beasts, they are beneficial in the home and it is not recommended to kill the spider (either let it out or let it live in the home).

lindsey said...

Oh dang girl. I feel for ya, you know I do. I was in like a constant state of pleading prayer for a week after my run in's with those things. They messed with my psyche!

Stephanie said...

hey shira- i was so delighted to see you on here!

ughhh... cane spiders... yuck. me and my friend bille would find them all the time when we worked at that mansion by pounders. i am shivering just thinking about it.

Anna K. said...

How is your trip? I sooo wish we were in California right now...

Chris & Jackie Kontoes said...

By the way...I have lived here for 4+ years and have never seen a cane spider. I have built up so much fear to see one. But we have had our share of centipede's walking on their hind legs while climbing up our staircase (nothing is sacred). I am so sorry that you have the image of the hairy beast in your mind...just sing a primary song to get it out.

Whit said...

I read a little paragraph about cane spiders and they say not to kill the spider, either let it out or let it live in your home--NO THANKS!! I say good job Devin!